What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any page Web. The usefulness of the cookie is for the website to be able to remember your visit when you browse that page again.
Although many people do not know it, cookies have been used for 20 years, when the first ones appeared browsers for the World Wide Web.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookie store?
cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your DNI or personal information, etc. The data they keep is of a technical nature, personal preferences, content customization, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person but rather your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse the Internet Explorer and try browsing the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the website does not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
- Cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application, when an anonymous and a registered user browses, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic website.
- Analysis cookies : They collect information about the type of navigation you are doing, the sections that most used, products consulted, time slot of use, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies : They show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are your own cookies and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the cookies from third parties are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies ?
To understand the scope of disabling cookies we can show you some examples:
- You will not be able to share content from this website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as is usually the case in stores online.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as My account , or My profile or My orders .
- Online stores: It will be impossible for you to make online purchases, they will have to be by phone or by visiting the physical store if is that it has it.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences such as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the web to be competitive.
- You will not be able to write on the blog, you will not be able to upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web either It will be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam .
- It will not be possible to display sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the web.
Can cookies be removed?
Yes. Not only delete, but also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To eliminate cookies from a website, you must go to your browser settings and there you can search for those associated with the domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here we show you how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: these steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the personalization icon that appears top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option Show advanced options .
- Go to Privacy , Content Settings .
- Select All cookies and site data .
- A list will appear with all the cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier for you to find cookies of a certain domain, enter the address partially or totally in the Search cookies field.
- After performing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with the cookies of the requested website.
Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed with its removal.
To access the cookies configuration of the Internet Explorer browser, follow these steps (they may vary in function of the browser version):
- Go to Tools , Internet Options
- Click on Privacy .
- Move the slider to adjust the privacy level you want.
To access the cookies configuration of the Firefox browser follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy .
- Under History choose Use custom settings for history .
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies , you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the cookies configuration of the Safari for OSX browser, follow these steps (they may vary in function of the browser version):
- Go to Preferences , then Privacy .
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies so that you can adjust the type of blocking you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration of the Safari for iOS browser, follow these steps (they may vary in function of the browser version):
- Go to Settings , then Safari .
- Go to Privacy and Security , you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of blocking you want to do.
To access the cookies configuration of the browser for Android devices, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings .
- Go to Security and Privacy , you will see the option Accept cookies to enable or disable the box.
To access the cookies configuration of the browser for Windows Phone devices, follow these steps (they can vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer , then More , then Configuration
- You can now enable or disable the Allow cookies box.
Cookie Advisor is a WordPress plugin